Wisdom teeth are the back molars or the last four teeth at the four corners of your jaws and are the final set of teeth to come through. Wisdom teeth erupt during the late teenage years or early twenties but they can come through at any later age too. Wisdom teeth do not cause issues for everyone; it can be an uncomfortable situation for few and no symptoms at all for others.
- You may notice some pain in jaws or gums which will give an aching sensation. It might also give a dull throbbing feeling at the back of your jaw bone.
- You may also notice swelling or redness on the gums where the wisdom tooth is erupting. It may become more challenging to chew or swallow the food.
- Wisdom teeth are more susceptible to other infections; in that case, the pain can be much worse.
It is best to see the dentist when you start to notice your wisdom teeth coming through. In case of emergency, there are a few things that you can do to limit the pain right away.
- Antibiotic: If you have immediate meeting or an exam that you cannot skip, talk to a Dental Specialist or a General Physician and take antibiotic for instant relief. But do remember that this is temporary.
- Cloves: Take a whole clove & place it in your mouth, directly where you are feeling the pain. You can do the same with the clove oil by dabbing it on the affected gums with some cotton.
- Mouthwash: Antibacterial or Antiseptic mouthwash is great for preventing infections and reduce pain. In case you don’t have any mouthwash at home, you can gargle using salt in warm water.
Most people opt to have their wisdom teeth extracted. While every individual situation is different than others. Your wisdom teeth need to be extracted if they erupt at an angle which may either damage the very adjacent healthy tooth (generally your second molar); or distort the proper alignment of your teeth, change your smile or cause an issue in chewing. The best decision rests in the hands of your Dental Surgeon who will do the best assessment.
If you see the positive symptoms or think your wisdom teeth might be erupting, contact us today to have an assessment of your teeth.